Your personal wedding experts

Inspire Organise Create Support

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Search

Congratulations to all our new brides-to-be! And now, with eyes and rings twinkling, off you go in search of your dream gown. Your tools: a copy of Modern Wedding, as many sketches and tear-sheets as possible, and an unwavering determination to find that one dress put here on earth just for you...

One new bride-to-be taking her search to the streets is Jen, 29. "I always had an idea of what my wedding dress would look like," she says. "I did a lot of research, spent time looking through magazines and searching online, but I wanted to be able to try lots of gowns on and have the experience and expertise of the actual designers and couturiers available to me." And therein lies the difference between buying your dress online and actually spending time with the people who know gowns best. Whether you choose a couture gown, made-to-measure or a ready-to-wear design, your new best friends are the boutique owner and the couturier.


At Mark Holt Bridal in Sydney's Double Bay

"I had in mind exactly what I wanted," says Jen. "I was looking for something with a low back and a deep V, I wasn't really interested in anything strapless or with a sweetheart neckline." But being a savvy young bride, Jen knew it was best to approach her search with an open mind, and to let the experts guide her. At Mark Holt Bridal in Sydney's fashion district of Double Bay, Designer Penny showed Jen some of her couture creations and took the time to discuss with her the options for custom-making a gown, or changing one of her existing creations to fit Jen's style and shape - a rapidly growing trend known as "made-to-measure".

A visit to Mira Mandic provides an invaluable experience and helps Jen in the search for her perfect gown
At Mira Mandic, Tara begins by showing Jen all her creations that are close to what she has in mind. With her expertise in fabrics and fit, she is able to show Jen how an existing design could be altered or added to. "I was so grateful that Tara was there, showing me how each dress should fit or how she could customise it for me. She showed me how the shape of a gown could be altered just through a simple thing like putting a corset underneath." It's this type of attention-to-detail and personalised service that brides who purchase online miss out on, and can be an important part of selecting the right gown.

A corset makes a difference, at Mira Mandic in Double Bay
 "I was really surprised, but it looks like a strapless gown is going to be a better fit for me than I originally thought," said Jen. After visiting several different boutiques and couturiers and taking their advice and guidance, she realised that the gown she originally had in mind may not be the best style for her after all. At Rhonda Hemmingway, Rhonda showed Jen some of her beautiful designs and showed her some of the different options for creating a unique gown from an existing design. "She showed me how she could add layers, or change the shape of the bodice." Made-to-measure is a great option for brides who can't quite afford the couture price-tag, but want a one-of-a-kind design that flatters their figure and suits their style.

Rhonda at Rhonda Hemmingway offers Jen her guidance and shows her how to customise an existing design

And the final choice? Not yet made... but we'll keep you updated! For more information on the importance of trying before buying, read up on Modern Wedding's Brides Beware campaign. We love to hear your stories, so please let us know how your search for the perfect gown is going - post your comments or email us at enquirires@modernwedding.com.au

And you've got less than 48 hours to enter our Win Your Wedding Gown competition, so get going!

And don't forget to stop by Facebook and Twitter and say howdy :)

For more super-dooper planning tools become a Modern Wedding bride

R xox

4 comments:

  1. Liking this 'made to measure' idea! I don't think I can afford couture --- but do want my dress to be fitted to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. V helpful... thanks MW! Luv the Mark Holt dress. Are they in Syd?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! All of these 3 boutiques can be found on New South Head Rd, Double Bay NSW. We know each one very well - and would certainly recommend you stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i actually ordered a dress from a store online. when I got it it looked so bad!!! rhonda hemmingway came to my rescue and made a new dress for me just in time! thnx rhonda!

    ReplyDelete