Your personal wedding experts

Inspire Organise Create Support

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pom Pom Girl!



I'm not a particularly crafty person (in either sense of the word). Whilst I “get” the baking side of Martha Stewart I find the craft side very hard to achieve as I seem to gravitate towards the harder to achieve projects which often end in misery. However I find simple crafts rewarding and I these don't test my (lack of) co-ordination too much which is a relief.



Despite this, we actually made our own wedding invitations. The reasons were that to get the invitations that we wanted which were very elaborate, it would have cost us a small fortune to order these. I looked at the quotes before looking at the sample that I had put together and realised that if I could actually make a sample, then there was a distinct possibility that I could make the actual invitations too (with the help of my then fiancee and parents). They didn't turn out too badly in fact. I probably won't be opening up my own invitation business but I don't think that guests realised that they were hand made by someone with two left hands.

The tools
If you are similarly inclined you should have a peek at the new Modern Wedding DIY magazine. It has a great range of 250 projects and each takes you through the process step by step. You literally could save thousands on your wedding. The Chic Everlasting section has divine black and white designs, bombonierre cones with wax seals, butterfly napkins and cakes. They also show you how to wrap your own bouquet, make ribbon flowers, napkin rings, horseshoe wreaths, pamper packs and beauty treatments as well as untold decorating tips that can be used for a wedding or a dinner party (there's even instructions on how to stitch your own picnic blanket!).
Folding to sheets of tissue paper, like an accordian

Cutting the ends as a point or round shape
I am getting ready for Christmas and one thing that I have seen used to great effect are tissue paper pom poms. I saw some at a shop for $8.95 and wanted to buy some but as fate would have it, my issue of Modern Wedding DIY arrived and I found that I could make them myself.

Tying with string

Spreading it out
I decided to give them a go. I didn't have any pink tissue paper and the only kind I could find was brown. I followed the instructions and they were easy to follow with a step by step guide with pictorial guides. I folded and folded and fastened and fastened and then separated the layers and then ta-da! They were done!

Then gently lifting it layer by layer
I was surprised to see that they actually looked like they were supposed to. And it took all of five minutes if that and I just used tissue paper that would cost anywhere between $2 to $4!

Ta da!


I'm already plotting what I'll be making for Christmas... ;)

Lots of love and pom poms,

L
xxx

Psst come and say hello on twitter http://twitter.com/ModernWeddingOz or facebook http://www.facebook.com/ModernWeddingMagazine

This week, there is a giveaway where you can win a $100 gift voucher for the Modern Wedding shop! http://modernweddingaus.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-are-doing-it-again.html

No comments:

Post a Comment